Everyone can be infected with parasites, but babies are especially affected by them, and in summer the risk is especially high. There are different types of worms, but they all have a negative impact on health. Parents should know what worms are in children - we will consider the symptoms and treatment of a disease like helminthiasis below.
Types of worms in humans
There are 12, 000 worms on our planet (they are also called helminths). They live in soil, food and animals, while around 200 varieties can live in the human body. Parasites must always have a host and often choose babies for their habitat. When a child knows the world, he tastes everything at hand, so he is constantly at risk.
The most common types of worms in children are nematodes or roundworms. These include:
- wormcause ascariasis. Helminths are large and can reach 40 cm in length and parasitize the gastrointestinal tract and small intestine.
- earthwormscause enterobiasis. The worms are small (less than 1 cm long) and whitish-yellow in color. These helminths live in children in the cecum or small intestine. Its life cycle is up to 4 weeks.
- Cestodosis- They are flatworms that parasitize the intestines and various organs. Helminths cause diseases such as teniosis, echinococcosis, hymenolepiasis, teniarinhoz and diphyllobothriasis.
- trematodosesare flatworms or flukes. These include cat worm, paradoxical leukochloride, schistosome. The parasites cause diseases such as fascioliasis and opisthorchiasis.
Ways of infection with worms
According to official medical statistics, worms in children under 2 years of age and in preschoolers who attend educational institutions occur in 80% of cases. These official numbers are recorded on those babies who have undergone laboratory tests. Helminths use all sorts of means to enter the human body. The most common routes of infection are:
- dirty hands or contact with infected animals;
- poorly washed fruits or vegetables;
- raw water;
- poorly processed fish or meat.
How to understand that the child has worms?
To answer the question of what are worms in children (symptoms and treatment are determined by the type of helminths), you need to know how the infection occurred and which internal organ the parasites got into. Often they do not manifest at all, and the disease proceeds latently, so the doctor cannot always determine their presence. Helminths have lived in the human body for years and even decades, adapting to the most adverse conditions.
Common signs of worms in children can be as follows:
- morning nausea;
- anal itching;
- bruxism - is the grinding of teeth in a dream;
- profuse salivation at night;
- nasal polyps;
- inflammation of Organs genitals;
- periodic pain around the belly button;
- sheep feces, diarrhea or constipation;
- loss of appetite;
- skin pallor.
If you find more than five of the symptoms listed in your child, it's worth suggesting a helminthic invasion. Each person can be a carrier of several helminths that parasitize the body and lead to intoxication and serious diseases. With the activation of the parasites, the signals can change. When you suspect worms in children, symptoms can also show up in external signs:
- "chicks" (rashes) on the thighs or forearms;
- bruises and circles under the eyes;
- early caries;
- lack of body weight;
- fragility of nails and hair;
- growth disorder;
- Allergic reactions.
Worms in children can affect the nervous system:
- babies become irritable;
- the concentration of attention decreases;
- perseverance is lost;
- sleep is disturbed.
What do worms look like in a child's stool?
Often, young parents are interested in the question of how to detect worms in a child's stool. In fact, only large worms can be seen in children's feces. Parasites leave the body in clots, in which there are only a few individuals. If you see strange inclusions, it's best to contact a specialist and get tested to rule out the presence of parasites.
Tests for worms in children
When parents suspect worms in children, symptoms and treatment depend on the stage of the disease. To determine the diagnosis, you need to take the child to a gastroenterologist or pediatrician. The doctor performs an initial examination and prescribes an examination, which includes:
- enzyme immunoassay - helps to recognize the type of worm and its presence, for this, blood is taken from the child from a vein on an empty stomach;
- a blood test for helminths in a child - the main indicators are: the number of eosinophils, the presence of anemia and a color indicator;
- scraping, smear for enterobiasis - taken from the anus;
- a general stool analysis for eggs and dysbacteriosis is performed in 3 steps, because some types of worms do not lay eggs regularly;
- CT scan, radiography or ultrasound examination - are performed to detect the presence of worms in the human body.
The child has worms - what to do?
After confirming the diagnosis, the doctor prescribes the treatment of worms in children, drugs must be strictly agreed with the doctor), talks about popular methods and products that should be used for a quick recovery. Parents should know that it is impossible to give medicines to babies on their own, as this can lead to irreversible consequences and thus worsen the child's condition.
If you do not know how to get rid of worms in children, then contact a specialist who will write out various steps of therapy. They include:
- preparation of the body - in this case, sorbents and antihistamines are prescribed;
- anthelmintic therapy - traditional medicines for parasites, which can be in the form of tablets, suppositories or suspensions;
- cleansing the body - enemas, choleretic drugs or sorbents.
Treatment of worms in children is carried out at home, if there are no complications in the form of infectious lesions. Over time the child must follow a special diet. After the first course of therapy, the child is re-examined and tested. If they again show the presence of parasites in the body, the drugs will be prescribed again.
Worm pills for children
Currently, there are several medications that help to get rid of worms. They are available in tablets and are intended for babies. Before use, it is necessary to consult a specialist.
Worm suspension for children
If your child is still small and does not know how to drink pills, specially designed suspensions are suitable for him.
Folk remedies for worms in children
With the help of traditional medicine, it is impossible to completely get rid of parasites, but you can boost immunity and speed up treatment. A worm remedy for children should be taken with care and only with the permission of a doctor. The most popular products are:
- pumpkin seeds;
- Carrot Juice;
- vegetable oil;
- infusions of celandine and wormwood or tansy.
Prevention of worms in children
All parents should know that deworming pills for children for prevention can be administered to create a special microflora in which helminths simply cannot exist.
In order not to get infected with parasites, you must:
- Observe the rules of personal hygiene.
- Wash your hands with soap and water after using the bathroom and walking.
- Fight flies.
- Keep pacifiers and toys clean.
- Iron and linen clothes.
- Handle food with care.
Depending on the age of the baby, there is a difference in preventing worms in children, drugs start to be administered only from 6 months.